About the Ian Strang Award
Ian Strang was the first president of INSOL International and was instrumental in creating INSOL International, laying the foundations of the association that we have today...
To recognise his achievements we have created an award in memory of Ian. The Ian Strang Founders’ Award provides an educational opportunity for a postgraduate specialising in insolvency and turnaround to attend the Annual INSOL International Academics Colloquium and the annual INSOL International Conference (when held jointly).
Ian recognised the benefit of practitioners from around the world meeting to exchange knowledge on cross-border issues. The INSOL Academics Group is at the forefront of research and study in insolvency and turnaround and bringing this knowledge to the practitioners in the field is vitally important, hence they hold an annual meeting which enables them to share with the profession their latest works.
Technical Electronic Newsletter
All members receive our monthly electronic newsletter.
In these, we cover global case decisions, new and pending legislation, journal articles, news, deal information and any other information of interest to our members. The newsletter has a format that provides links to the full details of the articles.
The Ian Strang Founders’ Award will be awarded to the best paper put forward by a postgraduate covering this specific field of study. The criteria for applying for the award are as follows:
- +Be a postgraduate or early-career academic researcher in the field of law or accountancy specialising in insolvency & turnaround, or a recently qualified lawyer or accountant interested in the academic as well asthe practical aspects of the subject.
- +Provide a paper of not more than 10,000 words with regard to areas concerning cross-border issues.
- +This paper should be an original piece of work, which has not previously been published in the form in which it is submitted.
The successful applicant will:
- +Be invited to attend either an INSOL Conference or Academic Colloquium
- +Have the opportunity to present the paper at the INSOL International Academics Colloquium;
- +Be recognised at the conference and receive a framed certificate of the Ian Strang Founders Award.
- +Be encouraged to submit the paper to the International Insolvency Review with a view to its publication. The paper will also be published on the INSOL website.
Please send your application to:
Ian Strang Founders’ Award
c/o INSOL International
6-7 Queen Street
Fax: +44 (0) 20 7248 3384
Ian Strang Award Winners
2016 Winner - Dr. Samantha Renssen
The Ian Strang Founders Award panel is delighted to announce that the winner for 2016 is Dr. Samantha Renssen.
As part of the award Samantha was invited to attend INSOL Sydney which took place on 19-22 March 2017 or the Academics Colloquium.
We would like to congratulate Samantha for her excellent application and also thank all the candidates who applied for the award this year. There were many excellent submissions and the judges task was particularly difficult.
2015 Winner - Alfonso S. Nocilla
The Ian Strang Founders Award panel is delighted to announce that the winner for 2015 is Alfonso S. Nocilla. As part of the award Alfonso was invited to attend INSOL Dubai which took place on 24-26 January 2016 or the Academics Colloquium.
We would like to congratulate Alfonso for his excellent application and also thank all the candidates who applied for the award this year. There were many excellent submissions and the judges task was particularly difficult.
2014 Winner - Jennifer L. L. Gant
The Ian Strang Founders Award panel is delighted to announce that the winner for 2014 is Jennifer L. L. Gant. Jennifer is a PhD in Comparative Employment and Insolvency Law at Nottingham Trent University where she currently works as a Research Assistant.
As part of the award Jennifer was invited to attend INSOL San Francisco which took place on 22-24 March 2015 or the Academics Colloquium. The paper she has written is titled "Studies in Convergence? Post-Crisis Effects on Corporate Rescue and the Influence of Social Policy: The EU and the USA" and will be published in future.
We would like to congratulate Jennifer for her excellent application and also thank all the candidates who applied for the award this year. There were many excellent submissions and the judges task was particularly difficult.