Founded in 1942, Pinheiro Neto Advogados is one of the largest law firms in Latin America and one of the most well established in Brazil. Pinheiro Neto Advogados is a full-service firm with around 450 lawyers, and has offices in São Paulo, Rio de Janeiro, Brasília, Palo Alto, and Tokyo
Our Restructuring and Insolvency Practice
The Corporate Restructuring and Insolvency Team seeks to provide innovative, pragmatic and effective legal advice to clients involved in any type of distressed situation. Partners of the team were members of the Joint Ministerial Committee that assisted the Senate in the legislative process, and made significant contributions to the final wording of the Brazilian Bankruptcy Law.
The team combines efforts with the firm’s wide-ranging and awarded M&A, banking, capital markets, tax and labor practices comprising over 30 partners with experience in corporate restructuring and distressed M&A cases. The team has earned a solid reputation in advising creditors, including official and ad hoc creditors’ committees, financial institutions, bondholders, syndicated lenders, lenders (including in respect of strategic debtor-in-possession (DIP) and exit financing solutions), trustees, agents and derivative counterparties and distressed investors, in mergers and acquisitions involving distressed companies and in other asset deal opportunities, whether within out-of-court negotiated arrangements or in- court reorganization or bankruptcy liquidation proceedings and commercial-related litigation.
Pinheiro Neto Advogados also represents company debtors, managers, boards, owners and shareholders in devising and implementing effective business, operational and/or financial restructuring in out-of-court and in- court proceedings, including through the use of innovative pre-package, pre-arranged or judicial reorganization proceedings.
It is the firm of choice for the most complex cross-border insolvency and restructuring matters, having also advised clients in numerous Chapter 15 (and former Section 304) and other cross-border proceedings in the USA, Australia, BVI, Canada, Cayman Islands, Italy, Ireland, the Netherlands, Madeira Island and UK cases involving Brazilian debtors and affiliated entities.
The team’s wide recognition
- The American Lawyer: – Global Finance Deal of the Year 2018: Oi S.A.’s $20 billion restructuring (our team is advising the Ad Hoc Group of Bondholders and Backstoppers – Oi S.A’s Judicial Reorganization);
- IFLR Americas Awards: Restructuring Deal of the Year 2019: Oi S.A’s restructuring; Restructuring Deal of the Year 2018: Odrebrecht Oil and Gas deal;
- Global Restructuring Review: GRR Awards 2019: Oi S.A.’s restructuring;
- Latin Lawyer Deals of the Year’s awards in the Restructuring category due to its representations of (a) Oi S.A’s restructuring (2018); (b) Odebrecht Óleo e Gás’s restructuring (2017); (c) the Ad Hoc Committee of Bondholders of OAS S.A. in its judicial reorganization proceedings (2016); (d) the Ad Hoc Committee of Bondholders and DIP Lenders of OGX Óleo e Gás S.A., in its judicial reorganization proceedings (2015); (e) Restructuring of REDE Energisa Group (2013); (f) the Ad Hoc Committee of Bondholders and the Inter-American Development Bank – IDB, as one of the largest creditors of Centrais Elétricas do Pará – Celpa, in its judicial reorganization proceeding (2012); and (g) Frigorífico Independência S.A. and affiated companies in its judicial reorganization proceedings (2010), among other recognitions;
- LatinFinance’s Restructuring Deal of the Year 2016: USJ Açúcar e Álcool Restructuring;
Firm and partners awards
- Chambers Latin America: Leading firm (Band 1) in Bankruptcy & Restructuring in Brazil.
- Individual Recommendations: Luiz Fernando Valente de Paiva (Band 1), Giuliano Colombo (Band 2), André Moraes Marques (Band 4) and Thiago Braga Junqueira (Associate to Watch) (2020)
- Who is Who Legal Brazil: Insolvency & Restructuring Lawyers: Luiz Fernando Valente de Paiva (2009-2019) and Giuliano Colombo (2010-2019), and Who’s Who Legal – Restructuring & Insolvency (Luiz Fernando Valente de Paiva 2018)
- First-tier Firm in Bankruptcy and Restructuring Practice – The Legal 500 Latin America – since 2012
- Recommended in the GRR 100– Global Restructuring Review – since its 1st Edition in 2017
- Latin Lawyer 250 – 2019 – Leading Firm in Bankruptcy in Brazil
- Best Lawyers 2019: Luiz Fernando Valente de Paiva named Lawyer of the Year in Insolvency and Reorganization Law; and Giuliano Colombo was recognized in Insolvency and Reorganization Law and Litigation.
“Acclaimed team within a widely respected full-service firm boasting an outstanding track record advising major financial institutions and corporate heavyweights from other sectors as creditors on sophisticated cross-border judicial reorganisations and bankruptcy proceedings. A market commentator notes that ‘the restructuring practice is very consistent and provides an excellent service in all judicial recovery proceedings it undertakes, providing a very good service to clients,’ and goes on to assert: ‘Pinheiro Neto is involved in the best cases in this arena.’ Chambers and Partners 2020
“The restructuring and insolvency team at Pinheiro Neto Advogados comprises three partners, who are regularly instructed by clients in high-profile and complex distressed situations. The team also benefits from the firm’s full-service capabilities, with the core team often working alongside colleagues in the banking and corporate departments. The practice also stands out for its ability to handle cross-border proceedings”. Legal 500 2019.
Luiz Fernando Valente de Paiva
55 11 3247-8883
55 11 3247-8661
André Moraes Marques
55 11 3247-8626