The strategic objective of the Legislative and Regulatory Group is to provide a unique forum for those responsible for drafting, enacting and enforcing the laws and rules governing their country’s insolvency and restructuring processes.
The inaugural meeting took place in 2018 alongside INSOL’s New York Conference, with a second meeting taking place in Singapore in 2019, kindly hosted by Ministry of Law. We are delighted that the World Bank Group has partnered with INSOL International on this important initiative.
The third Legislative and Regulatory Colloquium was held alongside the INSOL London conference on 26 June 2022. The colloquium was attended by 67 delegates both in-person and remotely from over 35 countries. View the programme here.
A unique feature of this forum, which distinguishes it from other intergovernmental networks and associations, is that the Legislative and Regulatory Colloquium also enables its members to hear and learn from not only their peers in other nations, but from practitioners, academics and the judiciary from around the globe.
The next L&R Colloquium will be held alongside our 2023 conference, details to be announced. We are also planning a virtual forum in early 2023.
Attendance at the L&R Colloquium is by invitation only.
For further information contact [email protected]
The Legislative & Regulatory forum will allow insolvency regulators and legislators to work together with practitioners, judiciary, academics and others working professionally within the insolvency environment to:
- consider and discuss how national substantive insolvency laws and rules can be improved to facilitate cross-border cooperation;
- develop frameworks for pre-insolvency proceedings, including discussing and sharing best practices for restructuring and rehabilitating debtors, where possible;
- recognise areas of common ground in furtherance of comity, and advancing the recognition of foreign insolvency proceedings;
- identify opportunities for the harmonisation of insolvency laws and the resolution of conflicts of law;
- facilitate educational training and capacity building;
- provide an opportunity to consider current and future challenges and opportunities including the use of technology and data, improvements in effectiveness and/or efficiency, and regulation of the profession; and
- to provide a platform to share understanding and best practice with practitioners to create a better awareness of each other’s purposes and objectives.
Insolvency laws and the regulation of those laws and rules are the cornerstones in the promotion of world leading restructuring and insolvency systems in developed and developing legal systems. In furtherance of INSOL International's vision, the Legislative and Regulatory Colloquium provides the platform for its members, working together with other stakeholders in the area of bankruptcy, insolvency and restructuring, to build on their important role in promulgating consistency and predictability in cross-border insolvency matters.
Global in its reach and diverse in its composition, INSOL International is exceptional amongst international professional organisations. INSOL recognises that its vision to promote and support the design and development of world leading restructuring and insolvency systems can only be achieved with input, commitment, thought leadership and engagement from all constituents in the insolvency and restructuring community, including practitioners, national professional associations, academics, the judiciary, and legislators and regulators working in the area of bankruptcy, insolvency and restructuring.